yield: 1, 8″ glass or ceramic baking dish or 6 individual ramekins
All purpose flour 2 cups (300g)
Cornmeal 1/4 cup (65g)
Salt ¾ teaspoon (3.5g)
Sugar ¼ cup (50g)
baking powder 1 Tablespoon (20g)
butter 1 stick plus 2 Tablespoon (130g)
Buttermilk ½ cup (110g)
Heavy Cream ½ cup (100g)
Lemon, zested 1
1. Cube cold butter into small pieces, place in large bowl.
2. Add dry ingredients to the bowl and work ingredients together with your fingers. Mixture should resemble wet sand and butter pieces should be pea sized.
3. Whisk together eggs, buttermilk and heavy cream in a separate bowl.
4. Add to dry ingredients and fold gently with a spatula until everything is almost combined.
5. Dump everything out onto a clean, dry counter or large cutting board. Use your hands to flatten the mixture and press any dry spots together.
6. With a rolling pin, roll out the mixture until it is 1″ thick. Fold in half. Repeat twice so that the mixture is cohesive and can be cut into 2″ squares.
7. Refrigerate or freeze biscuits until use.
Berries or cherries, washed and pitted – 2 pounds, 6 ounces (1080g)
powdered sugar – 2 cups (250g)
salt – 1 1/2 teaspoons (7g)
cornstarch – 1 cup (125g)
lemon juice – 1 cup (125g)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. In a large bowl mix together all of the ingredients. Place in a baking dish.
3. Top with biscuits then brush with maple syrup and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
4. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the fruit mixture is bubbly and the biscuits are golden brown.