yield: 2, 8” cakes
All purpose flour 340g (2 ½ cups)
Baking powder 9.5g (2 teaspoons)
Baking soda 2.5g (1 ½ teaspoons)
Salt 2.5g (1 ½ teaspoons)
Sugar 416 (2 cups plus 1 Tablespoon)
Buttermilk 270g (1 ¼ cups)
Oil 30g (2 Tablespoons)
Vanilla extract 12g (1 Tablespoon)
Eggs 178g (4 each)
Yolks 60g (3 each)
Butter 178g (¾ cup)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat cake pans with butter or pan spray. Cut out a piece of parchment paper to fit inside the bottom of the pan. Press into the bottom of the pan and smooth out so there are no wrinkles.
2. Bring all ingredients to room temperature. Cream together the butter, sugar, oil and vanilla until fluffy. Set aside.
3. In a separate bowl, whip whole eggs to full volume.
4. Sift dry ingredients together. Fold half of the dry ingredients into the butter and sugar mixture. Alternate folding in the buttermilk. Repeat until all of the dry ingredients and buttermilk are just combined. Do not over mix.
5. Fold the whipped eggs into this mixture.
6. Divide between the two cake pans. Bake for 35-45 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
7. Allow to cool in the pans for 15 minutes, then unmold to allow to cool fully.
8. Decorate as desired. Enjoy on any day you feel like celebrating!