Chocolate Studded Coffee Cake
yield: 1, 8”x4” loaf. Serves 6
All-purpose flour 1 ½ cups (203g)
Baking Powder 1 teaspoon (5g)
Baking Soda ½ teaspoon (2g)
Salt 1 teaspoon (5g)
Butter, room temperature ⅓ cup (75g)
Sugar 1 cup (200g)
Vanilla Bean ½
Egg yolk 1
Vanilla Extract ¾ teaspoon (3g)
Sour Cream 1 cup (240g)
Raaka Chocolate, chopped ½ cup (100g)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter the sides and bottom of an 8”x4” loaf pan. Line the bottom with parchment paper to easily unmold once cool. Bring all ingredients to room temperature.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl on second speed, cream together butter and sugar with a paddle attachment until pale and fluffy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula.
- Scrape the seeds from half of a vanilla bean and add to the butter. Add the eggs and vanilla extract and mix until fully incorporated. Scape down the sides of the bowl.
- Alternate adding the sifted, dry ingredients and the sour cream in 3 additions. Mix on first speed until incorporated, careful not to overmix.
- Fold in the chopped, Raaka chocolate with a rubber spatula. Scoop into prepared loaf pan and smooth out the top until level.
- Bake for about 45 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Edges of the coffee cake will begin to move away from the loaf pan and the top will be golden brown.
- Allow to cool in the pan for about 10 minutes, then invert to remove from pan and cool on a cooling rack.
- Once cool, glaze with coffee glaze.
New Harvest Coffee, brewed 2 Tablespoons (30g)
New Harvest Coffee, finely ground 1 teaspoon (3g)
Powdered Sugar, sifted 1 ¼ cups
- In a medium bowl, whisk together sifted powdered sugar with the brewed coffee and coffee grounds. Whisk until shiny and smooth and no lumps of powdered sugar remain.
- Pour over the coffee cake before serving.