Yield: 1, 9″ cake pan
Butter, softened | 2 sticks plus 2 T.
Light Brown Sugar | 1 1/8 cups, packed
Orange Zest from 1 orange
Granulated Sugar | 1 1/8 cups
Eggs, room temperature | 2
Salt | 1 t.
Vanilla Extract | 2 t.
Semolina Flour | 1 1/3 cups
All-Purpose Flour | 1 2/3 cups
Fresh fruit or jam | 1 cup
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Prepare a 9″ cake pan with non-stick spray or melted butter. Cut a piece of parchment paper to fit in the bottom of the pan. Smooth out the parchment circle and press out any wrinkles.
3. On medium speed, cream together the butter, sugar, light brown sugar, and orange zest until pale and fluffy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
4. Add the vanilla extract and the eggs one at a time, mixing at low speed until fully incorporated.
5. Add the salt, semolina and all-purpose flour. Mix on low until combined. Do not over mix.
6. Transfer into prepared cake pan. Smooth out the surface with an offset spatula.
7. Scatter fresh fruit over the surface and use your fingers to press into the batter until they are securely submerged. If you are using jam, spoon dollops over the top of the frangipane before completely smoothing the surface and use an offset to streak the jam and the batter together.
8. Bake for about 30 minutes until golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
9. Serve warm in the cake pan or cool to room temperature before unmolding.