Spiced Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
The whipped eggs in this recipe yield a carrot cake that is very light and fluffy. This cake has been a tradition at Ellie’s Bakery for the Spring menu but can reinvented every season. In the Fall, try substituting some of the grated carrot for apple or parsnip.
Yield: 1, 8×4″ loaf pan or 8″ round cake pan
Eggs, room temperature – 2
Vegetable Oil – 2/3 cup (150g)
vanilla extract 1 teaspoon
All purpose flour – 1 cup (135g)
baking powder 1 teaspoon
baking soda ½ teaspoon
cinnamon 1 teaspoon
ground ginger ½ teaspoon
clove ¼ teaspoon
carrot, grated – 1 cup (165g)
raisins – 1/4 cup (50g)
walnuts – 1/4 cup (45g)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a 8×4″ loaf pan with butter and parchment paper to prevent sticking.
- Using a mixer fitted with a whip attachment, whip the eggs and sugar to full volume, about 5 minutes on high speed.
- Turn down to medium speed, and stream in oil and vanilla extract.
- Sift together the dry ingredients. By hand, fold in the sifted dry ingredients with a rubber spatula until combined.
- 5.Add in the grated carrot and fold to combine.
- Pour into prepared baking pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely.
Cream Cheese Frosting:
cream cheese, room temperature – 1 cup (227 grams)
butter, room temperature – 1 cup (227 grams)
powdered sugar, sifted – 3 cups (454 grams)
vanilla extract – 1 Tablespoon
milk – 1 Tablespoon
- Beat cream cheese, butter, sugar, and salt in a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Mixture will become pale in color and very smooth.
- Add the vanilla and milk and continue to beat the icing until fluffy.
- Pipe or spread onto the cooled carrot cake.